Ceramic cookware seems to be the product of choice when new pots and pans are needed. Non-stick is essential and due to the fact that Teflon is supposed to be less healthy, ceramic is becoming a leader. The price has to be right and there are many good products available at a good price. Finding normal non-stick will lead to a bargain, but when it is ceramic that is on offer it is so much the better. Here is one set that is good value and well worthy of being reviewed.
GreenLife 14 Piece Non-stick Ceramic Cookware Set with Soft Grip
There are 14 pieces in this set and it is made up of:
- 7” frying pan without a lid
- 5” frying pan without a lid
- 1 qt. saucepan complete with lid
- 2 qt. saucepan complete with lid
- 5 qt. casserole dish complete with lid
- 5qt. sauté pan complete with lid
- 4 nylon utensils
This set of pans comes in an attractive turquoise color and all have an aluminum body. To ensure that they are healthy products, they have a ceramic non-stick coating of Thermolon. Knowing that the coating is Thermolon is encouraging as this is a mineral based – inorganic – coating that is made up of oxygen and silicon and is able to withstand intense heat. They can withstand up to 180 degrees Celsius which equates to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Another advantage is that it is environmentally friendly and does not contain PTFE or PFOA and it is for this reason that it is safe for food to be in contact with the coating. Even if the pan or dish is allowed to overheat there will not be any release of toxic fumes.
A big problem with some pans is the fact that the handles can become hot, but this is not the case with these Greenlife items. The handles are made of stay-cool Bakelite and they stay cool and soft to touch even when in use. As the lids are made of glass you can keep an eye on the food being cooked and easily tell if the water is running dry or when the food is nearly cooked.
As with all non-stick items the pans and dishes are easy to clean and while you may want to hand wash them, it is safe to put them in the dishwasher. It is great that they are safe, attractive and low maintenance.
- Cost – at the moment the pans are on sale on Amazon and cost just $79.00. With a bargain like this, it should be easy for even the most dedicated Teflon fan to make the change.
- Lightweight – this is important especially with the larger dishes. When full of food it would be easy to drop heavy items between the oven and work top.
- Easy to clean – it can be popped into the dishwasher and that can do the cleaning. Food slips off easily so there is no need to clean a little before putting it in.
- Chipping – even with nylon utensils there have been complaints that some of the pans have chipped. If chips appear on the inside and outside the pans can look old in a short period of time.
- Size – if it is a couple who want the set, some may be too big for their needs and for a large family ; some of the pans may be too small.
Despite the claims made, some users have found that scratches do appear on the ceramic interior and this is not because they are not treated well. Metal utensils should never be used, but even nylon ones can cause some damage. There are even reports that chips have been made when pans are stored inside another pan and for some with small kitchens this has to happen, so chipping has to be expected.
There have also been complaints that the handles so not stay cool as claimed. Not only do they heat up but they smoke and give off a bad smell as well as setting of smoke detectors. The ceramic coating may be safe but there are fears about the fumes from the handles. Some become unstable making pouring liquid out difficult. There have been cases where the utensils melted while in use and this not only meant they were ruined, but so was the food being cooked at the time.